Amy Sillman



"Painting generally takes a long time to develop. It's a slow and private language. It's such a specific thing to do: you've only got a rectangle and some paint. There's nothing there except you and the paint. It's not so much that you're dealing with a big history; I try not to care too much about history when I'm painting, in some way you just ignore all that stuff. It's just that you are dealing with such limited means. A lot of painters don't really come into their own, I feel, until they've worked for ten years. But I love paint. I think painting is so fantastic. I want my work to be funny and beautiful and personal and complicated and psychological. I'm not an overly analytical person; I'll mix up colors, maybe a whole bunch of different greens, and I'll just start putting them down and then I'll look at it. That part is largely intuitive, and I don't always know where it comes from -- maybe from looking at stuff around me, everything from the sky to photographs." 

(excerpt from an interview with Amy Sillman, published in a book titled INSIDE THE STUDIO: Two Decades of Talks with Artists in New York, from Independent Curators International, 2004.)

Amy Sillman blue / rays, 2009 Oil on canvas 84 1/2 x 90 3/4 in



More at Sikkema Jenkins Co.

Comments